Students entering kindergarten need:
- 4 doses of tetanus;* (1 dose on or after 4th birthday)
- 4 doses of diphtheria;* (1 dose on or after 4th birthday)
- 3 doses of polio;
- 2 doses of measles;**
- 2 doses of mumps;**
- 1 dose of rubella (German measles);**
- 3 doses of hepatitis B; and
- 2 doses of varicella (chickenpox) or evidence of immunity
*Usually given as DTP or DTaP or DT or Td
** Usually given as MMR
Students entering seventh grade need:
- 1 dose of tetanus, diphtheria, acellular pertussis (Tdap) if five years have passed since last tetanus immunization; and
- 1 dose of meningococcal conjugate vaccine (MCV).
The only exemptions to the school laws for immunizations are:
- Medical reasons;
- Religious beliefs; or
- Philosophical/strong moral or ethical conviction.
If your child is exempt from immunizations, he or she may be removed from school during an outbreak.