The Special Education Plan is a subset of the Lakeland School District Comprehensive Plan. The current plan began on July 1, 2018, and was set to expire on June 30, 2021. The Lakeland School District is in Cohort III for Special Education Planning. Due to the COVID 19 Pandemic, all districts in Cohort III will now submit their plan in July 2022.
The Special Education Plan consists of the following information:
- Special education indicators that may be flagged
- Special education corrective action or improvement plans
- Significant disproportionalities in the areas of placement, discipline, and identification
- A description of special education programs offered by the district, as well as programs and placements we utilize outside of our district
- A description of practices used to ensure students receive their education in the Least Restrictive Environment
- Explanations of how Positive School Wide Behavior and Multi-Tiered Systems of Support act as pre-referral systems and support students with and without disabilities
- A description of the related services provided by the district
- A description of professional development related to special education
Before board approval, the special education plan must be posted for 28 days for public inspection and comment. A copy of the plan can be found in the district administration office. Any questions or concerns can be directed to Melissa Orman, Director of Special Education at [email protected].
The period of public review will run from 5/23/22 - 6/20/22 . The plan will be presented to the board during the June board meeting. Upon approval, the plan will be submitted to the Pennsylvania Department of Education.